Monday, August 19, 2013

Pineapple Salsa Recipe - For Canning


We are deep in tomato season here and this salsa is something that I make every summer with tomatoes from our garden. Normally peppers from our garden too, but seriously?!? Somehow my 15 plants managed to produce next to nada. So far I have had one jalepeno and one bell pepper. My banana peppers are doing ok-ish. I am no garden expert and I did what I could to help the poor plants but it was apparently not enough... I have never had a problem other years. I would stick them in the ground and they grew waist high and I had more peppers than I could handle! Oh well. There's always next year :)


This recipe is SO. EASY. Only chopping and mixing is required. I never even peel my tomatoes for this recipe. But if you prefer them peeled, than feel free!


I like a chunky salsa and I use my food processor to pulse the tomatoes one batch at a time to the consistency that I prefer. I do the same with the onions and the peppers. No hand chopping for me! Other than cutting it all into chunks that the processor can handle of course. :)

I used canned crushed pineapple because I'm lazy to save time. But I think using a fresh pineapple and chopping it myself would be amaaaazing!


And the best part is, this recipe can be canned! So we enjoy fresh tasting salsa all year round. Sunday afternoon snack anyone? Yes, please!!


Pineapple Salsa - For Canning
  • 10 cups tomatoes, chopped to the desired consistency
  • 4 cups crushed pineapple (2 lg cans)
  • 4 sm jalepeno peppers, seeds left in (adjust this to taste)
  • 1 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 2 cups onions, chopped
  • 12 oz tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 3 tablespoons clear jel
*Mix all ingredients together well in a large container. Fill jars. Process in a hot water bath canner for 15 minutes.

Makes approx. 10 pints.

Happy Canning!!

Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Would you please tell me if this is instant clear jel or regular clear jel. I have both but no instructions to use them. Thank you very much. Can't wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete