SLIDER

A Sweet Baby Sleep Gown


Recently I had the privilege to sew up this sweet little sleep gown for a friend who is expecting a baby this winter.

It was a fun project to take on! She wanted to use the gown in photos announcing the baby's name (don't worry I'm not spoiling!:) ), isn't that a neat idea!?!


To make the gown I started with a Carter's long sleeved onesie and cut off the bottom portion. Then I simply cut a rectangle 14 1/2" long x width of the knit fabric. I made a casing for 1/4" elastic at the bottom, and gathered the top. I left the top edge raw and stitched it to the onesie using a zigzag stitch. This made it stay nice and stretchy for ease in dressing the baby and added a cute ruffle effect. I added a sweet little bow, just for cuteness factor :) 

For the name, I printed out the letters, then traced them onto the fabric with fusible web on the back. Then ironed the letters to the onesie. Next I stitched around the edge of each letter. When working with small applique designs like this, the machine can tend to want to *eat* the fabric, so for stabilizer I used stretchy knit interfacing on the inside of the onesie. This worked great! And is also soft, so it won't irritate baby's skin. 

Sleep gowns seem like a great idea for those middle of the night diaper changes! And what a fun way to personalize a baby gift as well! :)

Happy Sewing!

Follow on Bloglovin


3 comments

  1. Thank you! Our first grandson is due in April and is already measuring at 5lb. - double the size expected at this point in gestation. Large babies run in the family. I know the new mama saw these at Carter's but I doubt the newborn size will fit. I can't wait to sew up a collection of these for our new little guy. Made in a more boyish way of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much of the onesie do you cut off?

    ReplyDelete

Jump in the conversation! Leave some comment love...

© Handmade Frenzy • Theme by Maira G.