SLIDER

Fall Perfect Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Roscoe Blouse & Union St Tee // Sewing For Women

Happy Fall!! Now that's it's officially fall, I can break out those boots. Weather, you just need to cooperate so I don't melt in them, m'kay?

I am so pleased with my 2 new fall tops that I busted out this week. Actually busted out isn't exactly true. I must have felt like making things difficult on myself and make as many blunders as possible. As you can see, all's well that ends well. But whew. It wasn't my week! Let's hope next week is better!
I'm going to split this post up into 2 parts today, part 1 being the Roscoe Blouse pattern.

I have been wanting to try this pattern for way too long, and finally go around to it! But, that's where all my troubles began. And let me clarify. It had NOTHING AT ALL to do with the pattern. I was just very off this week! We all have those weeks or days I'm sure, and it was my turn this time. :)

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

I am sooooo pleased with how this turned out though! I made a couple of minor changes. First, I left off the ties at the neckline. I've found that in tops like these, they just tend to annoy me, so because of the joys of sewing, I can customize my tops exactly how I want! I also raised the neckline split by an inch, and next time, will raise it yet another inch, just preference. I also shortened the sleeves out of necessity, because I didn't have enough fabric. Another small change was to hem it by folding up 1/2" twice, rather than 1/4" as called for in the pattern. The whole shirt is plenty long on me and next time, I'll take it up a couple of inches before cutting. I also sized down 2 sizes from where my measurements put me, the top is intended to be very loose fitting, but since I'm on the shorter side, very over sized tops can overwhelm me and make me look frumpy. Next time I'll probably even size down one more.

That back neckline though... Heart.

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women


The other "change" I made to the shirt was to add a split to center back of the pattern, to mirror the front split. Which you can ever so slightly see in the above photo. At least that's what I'm going to tell you ;) I'm not going to tell you that I cut out this shirt a week prior to sewing and then proceeded to be in a hurry to get things done and didn't pay attention to whether or not I was CUTTING into the front or back bodice piece. I may or may not have had a minor heart attack after I realized what I did. But after I calmed down and thought about it, I decided that things really weren't that awful, that I didn't have to wad this project and proceeded on. With caution. Too much. Because it took me foreeeever to sew the rest of this shirt. Ha. The rest of the shirt came together without a hitch, thank goodness, I also french seamed this baby and now I can say, it's one of my favorite handmade pieces in my closet!

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Now let's talk about my favorite thing about sewing... Fabric!!

Both of these fabrics I used for today's posts are from Finch Fabrics. , I couldn't recommend a more perfect fabric than this for the Roscoe. I used a Blue Rayon Deer Print (on sale!). It's 100% rayon, but has a crepey texture and when held up to the light is slightly sheer, but when worn on the body, doesn't show a thing. Not even in this loose and flowy style. I prewashed this fabric and it shrunk up to about 52" wide, so keep that in mind if you work with rayons. They do definitely shrink! I only had a yard and half to work with, but I used nearly every square inch and got this top out of it!

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

This fabric just has the perfect amount of extreme drapiness that this pattern needs, it's so lightweight that the gathers aren't heavy at all. And because of the crepey texture it made it a dream to work with!

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

I don't have any other tops like this in my wardrobe currently and I'm so excited about this one. It's easy to wear and just feels slightly elegant with my heels. C'mon Honey, time for a date, don'tcha think!?

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

And how fun is this deer print?? Another departure from my normal and I'm so in love with it! It's fun, but muted. And I loooove the color, I didn't think I was into monochrome all that much, but I love how it blends with my dark jeans.

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Roscoe Blouse // Sewing For Women

Summary of details:

Pattern:
Size Sewn: 2 - my measurements put me in a size 6, next time I might even size down to 0.
Changes made: left off neck ties, shortened sleeves 4 1/4", hemmed an extra 1/2".

Fabric:

6 comments

  1. This makes me wish I could rock this style of top. Really they never work for me! But I love the fabric and your styling!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! There is a fine line for this style for myself too. I need to have some sort of waist definition going on, otherwise I look super frumpy. This one though, I'm pretty gah-gah over! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh definitely a look for a date! Love the look of this blouse. Glad the heart attack was only mild and you continues with the blouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blouse on you Heidi! The color and that fabric with that pattern are just beautiful. And you totally can't tell that anything was wrong on the back! But glad that you put this week behind you for your sanity's sake. :) I need to go check out Finch Fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete

Jump in the conversation! Leave some comment love...

© Handmade Frenzy • Theme by Maira G.